Saturday, December 29, 2007

High speed control surface servo torque

I have no idea (no intention to know) the existence of control surface servo calculation , until I crash my F16 and blue angle. The 2 crashes resulted from inability to pull back the plane from a very high speed dive >150kph. It seems the plane cannot escape from the vertical dive.

Then I realise the importance of calculating the control surface servo torque requirement. To my surprise, the torque requirement is not linear.

For example , the elevator flap of my F16 measured as a triangular surfaces with chord 7cm and length 12cm, deflection 30deg, servo travel 45degree .
At speed of 100kph, the 2 flaps exert a torque of 8Ncm. (http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/eflight/calcs_servo.htm) My Towerpro 9G servo of 11Ncm is enough.
But at a speed of 150kph, the requirement is 18Ncm, which exceed the servo spec.

That result in crash....from a high dive at full speed.