Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tomcat F14 successful maiden

She looks beautiful.
I build her with 2 servos only as the elevon and no aileron servo. Once the sweep wing is close, the roll become very sensitive and need some expo to tame her down.

Sweep wing standard metal gear servo is included with the kit. Very power and guarantee no excuse for mechanical failure in flight.




Cannot wait to maiden my Tomcat, despite the landing gear is not installed and the wiring is not tidied up. Just want to test the power system first, as I use the 3000kv JGF ourunner from my junk box. Benchtest with 5 blades, lipo 4s drawn 22A each and total 44A , which should be fine for my dozens of 4s 2200mA. Thrust at such low power ~600W setting seems adequate ~500g each, total 1000g for a 1300g RTF F14.

Speed is ok at first half, but drop quite a bit when the 4s cannot hold the voltage later. Since the outrunner should be fine with 30A, I 'll try to retest it with 5s , after I re-wire the BEC.

Hand launch is suprisingly easy with such payload and power.
I did not encounter any wing dihedral and the wing is strong as any fixed wing.

She is so stable and landing is like a piece of cake.