Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Repair Canon EF lens Err99

The cable is now secure with tape to avoid future pulling and fracturing.
The iris mount has the cable exit area "rounded" to remove the right angle on the lip.

Site of fracture as from the small impression on it. The pinhole is puncture to confirm location of fracture.
My Canon EF lens showed this well known Err99 while I was on my long trip to Europe. That was desperate as the problem worsen progressively. Eventually, the camera stops working whenever the lens is zoomed and is fired.
There are lots of reason for Err99, including ring contact, jammed shutter, jammed iris (aperture)....
After returned to my home country, the lens was disassembled. The iris was tested and they seems to have no mechanism binding. The iris works intermittently. Bingo, that should be the broken cable. The cable is visually normal ....hey..except where it exit from the iris mount..there is a impression caused by pulling the cable against the iris housing. Cannon is stupid to allow this happen as the impression cause the thin copper to fracture. Mine counts only around 4,800 shots in 4 years.
Since I got no replacement cable on hand. I decided to confirm the fracture and solder it myself.

Hairpin connectded ohm-meter confirmed the fracture. After careful sanding and solder, the lens now works flawlessly.