Sunday, March 11, 2012

Repair my 15 years old Fuji Hi8 camcorder


My antique Hi-8 camcorder is dead for a while and now I need to revive it to digitalized all my Hi8 collections. Video image output nothing but white horizontal jerky lines with audio nosies. 1 out of  2 times the tape cannot go into the slot correctly and camcorder refuse to play the tape. Though of some mechanical problem, like slipping belt. Head cleaning does not correct the problem.

Open up the case. No loose belt. Looking carefully how the tape failed to engage. Seems the camcorder has a protection mechanism that when the tape jammed the rotating drum Imay be due to dirty drum surface/ old sticky tape), it will eject the tape  automatically.

Took my few hours to learn that there are tracking screws for lead in and lead out tape. The incorrect lead in (reason???) will cause the drum slow down and the camcorder refuse to read the tape and eject the tape. After trial and error, bu adjusting the 3 tracking nuts in sequence, finally I can digitalized all my 15 years old tapes (which takes anther 7 days !)